Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Case of Fourth Seat

Yesterday, while traveling back home, one of the travelers sat on the fourth seat in the first class compartment. When she was asked to get up, she simply said that show me the rule book which says “no fourth seat in the first class compartment”. One of my friends got angry at her ‘coz the fourth seat passenger was causing trouble to her and so politely asker her to get up. While the fourth seat passenger was tad rude with my friend. I wish I had said something to her then or at least shown her the railway message in the compartment which clearly states ‘only 13 passengers’. But I couldn’t because I didn’t want to agree with someone who is devoid of commonsense.

I know with this only my fellow first class travelers would agree. I am not being inhuman or behaving like some arrogant, rich bitch. But I want to convey that Railways has made first class for the comfort travel and we pay almost five times of the second class for this so call discomforted travel. In such scenario, if we have a seat, we are entitled to seat comfortably on the seat which is logically meant only for three people. Am I asking too much? I don’t think so.

With this post, I am not supporting class distinctions but if I am paying for a particular way of traveling, I should be getting at least basic rights of the travel. Now, even basic comforts of travel are not provided to first class travelers especially ladies compartment which are smaller than a matchbox. And, they have been like this since time immemorial. The Indian Railways seem to be giving royal ignore to equality to women factor when it comes to first class compartments for women.

Coming back to fourth seat, I know it is a priceless possession for those who manage to get it in the crowded local train. But I still have a problem with the entire concept be it in the first class or second class as it only cause discomfort to others. I really want to know who came up with this weird concept of fourth seat in local trains. Forgive me, but specially women jus forget their own physical expanses and want to fit in the fourth seat which is not good for their own spines as well as creates trouble to others. I prefer not to seat on the fourth seat and urge others not to do so. I heard women saying, “Hum ne paisa diya hai, fukat samjha hai kya?” My dear ladies it is not about traveling without valid ticket, it is all about understanding and making travel smooth.


It is very difficult to make the fellow women understand especially if they are from first class as they are all together a different species which I would talk about in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment